Sunday, January 23, 2011

Chains Be Broken


Have you ever heard the Hillsong United song “You’ll Come?”  Probably so, it’s a popular worship song sung in churches around the world.  I think I first heard the song as a part of the ECHO ministry at North Metro Church, our home church in Marietta, Georgia.  The opening lines go like this…

Chains be broken…
Lives be healed…
Eyes be opened…
Christ is revealed…

If you have been in the church world for some 
The Kids at Eagle's Nest
time those are familiar words and biblical concepts.  For me, those four lines sum up God’s grace as he sacrificed his son and exchanged his son’s life for mine (and yours).  I had chains that needed breaking – my chains were rooted in self-image.  I was so caught up in what other people thought of me, and my career was a heavy chain that needed a loving God to break.  I heard a pastor once say there are two types of people in the world – those that have been wounded and those that have been wounded more.  I can relate to that, I have wounds that have been healed and I have wounds that are still healing.  One day, by the grace of God as he pursued me, my eyes were opened to his love, his grace, his forgiveness, and my need for a savior.  At that moment Christ was reveled to me.

So where am I going?  For several weeks I have been praying those four lines for the children that live at Eagle’s Nest.  Each child that we have in our home is dealing with issues related to abandonment.  Generally speaking children that live in orphanages in Guatemala have at least one parent.  Children end up in orphanages for issues related to abuse and extreme poverty.  No matter the reason for a child being in an orphanage, each child deals with the chains that weigh them down and keeps them from knowing Christ as their savior.  These sweet children carry a heavy burden.  They deal with shame, guilt, anger, and bitterness.  All of these issues conspire against them and keep their eyes closed.

Would you join me in praying for the 17 children that live in the Eagle’s Nest home?  Pray for each child that their…

Chains be broken…
Lives be healed…
Eyes be opened…
Christ is revealed…

Thank you God for loving us. 

LPR

No comments:

Post a Comment