Tuesday, February 4, 2014

I have a dream . . .

Recently we have had some homeschool writing assignments about Civil Rights, desegregation in schools, Martin Luther King’s “I have a Dream” speech. If you have never read or listened to this historic speech, I encourage you to do it. I find his words inspiring. We who have the benefit of his legacy are privileged to see many of his dreams realized. Glory to God; so many of those God-given dreams have come to fruition.

These thoughts have been rambling around in my head the last few weeks. As we work with families who are making hard choices about education, it has inspired me to have my own dreams.


I have a dream.

I dream that parents don’t have to choose which one of theirs kids can go to school this year.


I dream that one day, every boy and every girl has the opportunity to learn and grow in their local school.

I dream that teachers would be well trained and well equipped to cultivate the young minds entrusted to them.

I dream that every child would take those magical trips to far-off lands, in far-off times, with imaginative characters only found between the pages of a book.


I dream that students would rise up to become leaders and agents of change in their communities.


I have a dream.

I don’t have the power or the authority to make these dreams come true. I can’t change the systemic problems within government and education systems. But the Lord has given me a dream. And he’s given me opportunities to make a difference with a few children and a few teachers, in a small part of a small country. If I am faithful to the opportunities that God has entrusted to me, he will be faithful to produce the fruit of those labors. He is the Dream Giver and the one who brings them to bear. All glory to the Dream Giver that I get to be a part of his dreams being realized.


What’s your dream? What opportunities has the Lord given you to bring about change?

(Photos are from our first day back at the After School Tutoring Program, let the learning begin!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment